A true 3-way design, the CHS 40 represents the most compact offering in our powerful in-cabinet line. A single 8-inch woven-fiberglass woofer provides a solid platform for the unique rotating midrange and tweeter array. The rotating array allows the CHS 40 to be placed on its side to meet installation restrictions, while still providing superb on- and off-axis response. As with all the offerings in the in-cabinet speaker line, the CHS 40 features frontal boundary adjustments to allow installers easy access when tuning the system.
CHS40 High Performance In-Cabinet Speaker
• Three Driver, 3-way system • Rotatable tweeter/midrange array for horizontal or
vertical placement • Two crossover compensation switches adjust for
in-cabinet boundary effects or for center channel
Frequency Range (-6dB): Recommended Power: Impedance: Sensitivity (1W (2.83V) @1m)
Typical Listening Room: Drivers:
Dimensions (W x H x D):
45-21,000Hz 40-200 Watts 6 Ohms
87dB SPL 89dB SPL 8” Woofers, 4” Midranges, 1” Tweeter
11 1/2 x 17 x 9 1/2” (grille on) 11 1/2 x 17 x 9” (grille off)
applications behind a perforated screen • Tough, textured, matte black finish
Many high-end home theater systems have most of their components, including the speakers, hidden away in cabinets. While this hides the hardware it can be detrimental to speaker performance. Understanding this, PSB pioneered the concept of purpose-designed systems for in-cabinet installations. The CHS40 joins the line up that now includes the acclaimed CHS80 and CHS60, in-cabinet loudspeakers modeled after PSB’s prestigious flagship Platinum T8 and T6 tower speakers and the CHS212 that is essentially a SubSonic 10 reconfigured for in-cabinet application.
The CHS40 maximizes it’s in-cabinet performance with a midrange and tweeter mounted on an 8” circular plate. This plate can be turned 90 degrees so that, whether the main cabinet is horizontal or vertical, the systems response is always optimal across the seating area. Furthermore, the tweeter on the rotatable plate is “eye socket” pivot mounted and can be aimed at the listening area for the flattest high frequency response. The CHS40 is a three driver, three way high power/high output speaker with a highly designed crossover network optimized for in-cabinet application. The CHS40 includes two crossover compensation switches to adjust for in- cabinet boundary effects or for center channel applications behind a perforated screen. The driver complement includes an 8” high power shielded woofer with an incredibly stiff woven fiberglass cone. The 4” midrange driver with woven fiberglass cone and the high power, low resonance 1” aluminum dome tweeter are mounted in a rotatable array for maximum system flexibilty and to provide superb accuracy across a broad listening window.
The enclosure construction meets Platinum-Series standards of rigidity and freedom from unwanted resonance. The system is constructed as a highly durable cabinet with a tough textured “spatter coat” matte black paint finish. It is dimensioned to fit within custom or ready-made media furniture.
• Try to install the systems at a height equal to ear level when seated.
• The Tweeter/Midrange array should always be vertical. Rotate the array accordingly.
• Open volume in equipment cabinet surrounding the CHS40 should be lightly filled with fiberglass or acoustical foam to reduce cavity resonance.
• Don’t recess the system any farther into cabinet than necessary.
• Confirm that media center grille frames do not block sound to any listener, especially of midranges or tweeter.
• Engage boundary switch when cabinet mounted.
• Engage “Screen Perforation” switch when mounted behind a perforated screen.
• All PSB in-cabinet speakers require accompanying powered subwoofers for maximum performance.
• All PSB CHS models are compatible with Platinum C4 and C2 Center Channel Speakers.