About the Yamaha YAS-706
The solid, high-powered Yamaha YAS-706 sound bar can cut through the acoustic challenges of an open floor setup.
A home theater system with a musical touch
I can't exactly call the Yamaha YAS-706 a "music-first" sound bar — it does offer 4K TV connections and simulated 7.1 surround sound, after all. But those of us who use a sound bar for both TV watching and for listening to tunes will appreciate this punchy, powerful system. Yamaha's substantial driver array delivers dynamic, full-range sound for your favorite songs, shows, and movies.
And the explosive subwoofer hits as hard for a funky bass line as it does for a thrilling car chase. The sub communicates with the bar wirelessly to give you some placement flexibility.
Control all your tunes with MusicCast
Another reason I recommend this bar for music? Yamaha's MusicCast streaming technology is built-in. This wireless system puts your entire library of digital tunes at your fingertips — including high-res downloads and streaming services like Spotify. It also offers flexible options for expanding into other rooms with additional MusicCast components and speakers.
It all starts with the free app, available for Apple® and Android™. It's my favorite multi-room app at the moment, thanks to its intuitive layout and feel. User-friendly graphics make it easy to select rooms, pick music services, and adjust volume. You can even substitute your own images to make the menu more personal.
Send or receive Bluetooth®
Built-in two-way Bluetooth lets you stream audio from any app on your phone through the MusicCast system. You can also send audio from the sound bar to other Bluetooth-enabled audio players, like wireless headphones — convenient when you're watching late night movies or ballgames.
- virtual 7.1-channel surround sound
- connects to your Wi-Fi network and Yamaha's MusicCast wireless whole home music system
- 210 watts of built-in amplification
- eight built-in drivers:
- four 3/4" balanced dome tweeters
- two 2-1/8" midrange drivers
- two 3" cone woofers
- bass port enhances low-frequency response
- Dolby Digital® and DTS® decoding
- Yamaha's Air Surround Xtreme produces a spacious, immersive listening experience
- 5 listening modes: Music, Movie, TV Program, Sports, and Game
- Clear Voice mode for clearer, louder dialogue with movies and shows
- rests on a TV stand or can be mounted on a wall (hardware not included)
- includes remote control with independent subwoofer volume
- 37-5/16"W x 2-13/16"H x 5-1/8"D
- weight: 11 lbs.
- 5-1/2" cone woofer
- syncs wirelessly with sound bar
- 75-watt (RMS) built-in amplifier
- 11-5/8"W x 11-11/16"H x 12-1/8"D
- weight: 20 lbs.
MusicCast wireless multi-room music system:
- connects to your Wi-Fi network for wireless music listening
- built-in Bluetooth lets you stream directly from compatible devices
- also sends audio wirelessly to Bluetooth-enabled speakers or headphones
- free MusicCast app lets you control the player and play music with your Apple or Android device
- support for online music services, including Spotify®, Pandora®, SiriusXM, and thousands of free internet radio stations (subscription required for some services)
- connects wirelessly to other Yamaha speakers and components with MusicCast to play the same song through multiple speakers or different songs in different rooms
- plays MP3, AAC, WMA, FLAC, ALAC, WAV, and AIFF files
- supports high-res playback for PCM-based files up to 24-bit/192kHz
- Compressed Music Enhancer for smoothing out the sound of over-compressed MP3 files
- Apple AirPlay® for streaming from compatible Apple devices and computers running iTunes®
- DLNA support for streaming music from compatible networked computers and NAS drives
- supports 802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi® (2.4 GHz)
Connections and General Info:
- HDMI switching: 2 in, 1 out
- HDCP 2.2 copy-protection compatibility for 4K broadcast and streaming content
- HDR-ready (compatible with HDR10 format only)
- digital audio inputs: 1 optical, 1 coaxial
- 1 RCA stereo analog input
- subwoofer output for adding your own powered subwoofer (included subwoofer connects wirelessly)
- Ethernet port for a wired connection to a home network